Sunday 6 December 2009

BLUE & WHITE


I have been asked to do a review on a party outfit by Very.co.uk; theHolly Willoughby contrast dress with cummerbund detail, the Love Label Lavish frill suede platform shoes and the French Connection fabric quilted bag. Well who would say no to that?

Arriving just in time and colour-wise, white and blue, the outfit is perfect for the independence day of Finland, today, December 6th! (Although the color combination actually is white-blue-black, which really makes me dressed up in the colors of Estonia but let's not get picky here. Plus I'm a quarter estonian anyway so...)


The Holly dress is far more fancy than on the pic in the online store! It's a dress for fine occasions. The material feels good. The fit is alright, but I am, as always, between sizes - what fits my behind and does not stretch over the shoulders is once again too big in the waist. I might reach for my sewing machine on this one, but so far it was easily adjusted by taking the waist in with a large sequined safety pin in the back; just folding the belt and fastening. Otherwise I have to admit I think this dress would gain on having the belt removed, or the cummerbund could rather be in horizontal pleats like the tuxedo cummerbund, smoother, more plain. Sometimes less is more, and the waist would appear smaller if it wasn't for the belt.

But sometimes more is more and just right! The shoes are over the top - in a good, delicious way. Very burlesque. I love the blue color! I chose blue since I thought red might be too, hmm, obvious somehow. (And like my boyfriend said, a bit 'too sexy' perhaps.) Plus everybody needs a pair of blue suede shoes, right? These shoes also come in grey which I think would be the most perfect for this dress - and otherwise too - but there are only big sizes left. So if you have bigger feet, go for it! I normally prefer shoes with a slightly thicker heel for the sense of comfort and everyday usage, but these are still alright to wear due to the platform. These will be swell for burlesque nights and shows!

The bag is the exact same color as the shoes! I think most shoulder bags get a fancier look when worn as a clutch so for this outfit I have put the chain strap in the bag.

Now what? The Finnish independence day is quite a serious celebration and no carnival. So fancy dinner and then the president's independence ball on TV.

PS. there is a discount over at Very which lasts tomorrow still; 3 items for the price of 2!

34 comments:

Hannan said...

lovley shoes!

Clare said...

Aww yay! I love the Very catalgoue, they have some beautiful clothes!

jewlover2 said...

The shoes are absolute perfection, especially w/ the turn of your calf and the tattoo. ha! Great.

Clare said...

I must agree, the shoes are beautiful and I love the colour choice. I think the dress would look better without the belt - more elegant. You naturally still manage to pull it off as apparently everything suits you!

Malayka said...

What a fantastic dress! Happy independence day

Anonymous said...

Love the colour of those shoes

Rosie Unknown said...

Wow, so pretty!!! Those shoes are amazing.

WendyB said...

Those shoes give me a thrill!

Q's Daydream said...

wow, amazing, as always!

Bucca said...

love the dress!

Chantele Cross-Jones said...

You look amazing! The blue shoes and bag are just enough colour to make them pop against the black and white dress, very sexy indeed!

Passion4Fashion said...

I love the black and white outfit with the pop of blue and I LOVE THOSE SHOES!

Tabitha said...

LOVE this outfit. Tres chic!

Natalia L. said...

Gorgeous blue!!! You look stunning!
It's funny 'cause today is the Constitution Day here in Spain, but I don't really know what people do here to celebrate it, I'm not Spanish.. xDD
But I'm Argentine, and blue and white are also the Argentine flag (OK, it's actually light blue xD), so I'm really digging this outfit! ♥

www.janetteria.com said...

I'm not a huge fan of blue color but those shoes are just beautiful...great choice, Ulrika!


X♥X♥

Anna said...

Skorna var ju helt fantastiska...

Anonymous said...

Hi! I don't mean to be rude or intrusive but I just wanted to ask, what bra (brand/type/style/?)do you wear under halterneck dresses or similar. For example in this post http://freelancersfashion.blogspot.com/2008/07/strange-nights-in-nice-hair.html
you seem to have some kind of special brassiere, but I have no idea where to get those from! I mean, I have some trouble finding suitable bra for my halterneck and strapless dresses.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Anonymous : Since I don't have that full a bust and since many of my halter-/strapless dresses are boned and lined I wear them without a bra. Sometimes, depending on the dress, I may wear a strapless bra underneath, just basic balconette bras or such with removable straps. The one in the pictures you linked is a regular bra with removable straps. It stays in place because the dress is pretty firm around the chest and is mostly there to give some shape, things would stay in place otherwise too :)

I shop a lot of my bras at Lindex but I guess strapless bra/balconette bra will do. Sometimes I change the straps to
silk ribbons (me and my silk ribbons, I always go on about those...)that I tie in the neck if I feel I need more support, depending on the dress it doesn't even matter if they show.

Intrinsically Florrie said...

Oh it's a lovely outfit! I particularly love that handbag, it's a gorgeous colour and has a satisfyingly soft squishyness by the look of it. :-) Plus I have quite a weakness for quilted things.

Florrie x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering! I have quite small bust, and had difficulties finding suitable underwear. But I'll keep eyes open the next time I'm passing through shopping mall :)

Treacle said...

Oh I love that outfit, and I think your tattoos set it off! :-)

Anonymous said...

that pretty!!!
:D
demasiado bonita!
:D

Diary of a Young Designer said...

The dress is incredible! Love your leg tattoo!

Hope you had fun at dinner, btw the bow on your hair is stunning!

xo
Sophie

Désirée said...

Amazing outfit!

Katja Cintja said...

nice outfit!!

Bree said...

I love the pops of blue, too awesome!

Diva said...

The shoes are to die for !

And I have to say that the tatoo looks real cute like it was meant to go with the shoes ! :)

cashmere jumpers said...

the bag and heels are gorgeous!!love that colour!

pumps & luiers said...

I want to 'put on your bleu suede shoes'...

Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said...

Those shoes...I want...salivating now...can't breathe...okay, I'm alright now...but...those shoes...I want...

Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said...

Oh, BTW, you look fabulous!

Ursula Schneider said...

So amazing, the hair, the shoes, the dress, everything is fab! I am in love.

Anonymous said...

Those blue ruffled heels are to die for, love the way you styled them with that outfit!

All Women Stalker said...

I love those blue heels!