Monday 23 August 2010

A SHORT STORY ABOUT CLOGS (IN PLURAL)


I though I'd write a little about those clog sandals of mine (conveniently now that summer is coming to an end and it's getting colder - well, at least it's still warm in some parts of the world. And ok, it's still sandal-weather here too. Over and out.) as some of you asked me about weather the hasbeens really were comfy or not and how their sizing was. So here's yet another shoe story for you:

As you know, after a lot of talk around town (the internet that is) and hype about what sounded to be the comfiest shoes ever (for this season at least) I was going though a tiny struggle on weather to put or not to put over 200 euros on a pair of clogs. I have had clogs as a kid, those more traditional ones, and clogs are no new pehnomenon for the 00's either - Carrie wore a pair of Hanna Sarén clogs in SATC years ago and FINSK has been all about wooden soles for years too. But now I could not get the thought of soft wood under my feet (or smooth actually, wood is pretty hard) out of my head. And, I was still on that endless quest to find the pair (or, at least a pair) of comfy and high heeled shoes to be able to wear all trough summer. I got a lot of tips from lovely people around the world (well, mostly Sweden since they know their clogs) about other, less pricey brands (than Hasbeens). And I did see a lot of cute clogs out there (again, internet) but none of them were as pretty or as high as the damn sky highs.

Then, on a hot humid July day with aching feet I stumbled across a pair of Moheda clogs (at Indiska) for a third of the price and decided to try them on and Oh! Feet orgasm!
So I bought them, altough not that high and thus not for the same purpose the sky highs would have served. But every woman needs a pair of less fancy sandals for when she goes to the countryside you see! Then one hot evening (you know, those hot humid Helsinki nights we have grew accustomed to...first time I was able to say that, ever!) when I was about to hit town with a big flowing skirt and with flowers in my hair I was reaching for my high heels those clogs in the corner started going all "tum tu dum", whisteling and looking up the ceiling. I tried not to notice them and squeezed a foot in the high heeled shoe. Clogs still all 'tum tu dum dum' in the corner of my eye and goddamit, the walk to the bus (yes! the bus nowadays!) and the strolling around town flashed before my eyes and I couldn't resist anylonger - I had to leave the pretty shoes behind and go for the comfy (and ok, rather cute) clogs.
That was the sign for me; nothing else left to do anymore, I was now allowed to order myself The Hasbeens.

One or two days later  the UPS boy stood behind my door and there they were, all bubblegum coloured and new. After two days of walking them in and a little olive oil they were soft enough not to make my feet blister (and almost bleed) anymore. So I thought it to be a good deal although the price, as I did wear them quite a lot during summer. (It might be a bit alarming that I considering something worn a lot if I've had it on me five times or so per season but hey, that's today's world I guess - and I did wear the sky highs pretty much actually).

My clogged feet.

So, my real point here and to answer your questions however was that yes, they are comfy and go for the smaller size if you're in between. And watch out the pastel leather gets dirty easily.

13 comments:

BlueMoonDame said...

Great post! I love the clogs :)
They're also started to pop up in the very hipster stores in my neighborhood...

Nolita said...

Not a big fan of clogs, but these pale pink ones are great!

-Nolita Vintage
http://www.nolitavintage.com/

Laia said...

hahah I am quite relieved to see that I am not the only one whose pink Hasbeens look like that, I believe mine's are a bit more clean but the wood looks much better on yours.

I am glad that you're happy with your purchases, I think the Hasbeens are really good shoes!

Mrs Munster said...

The clogs looks both pretty but sturdy shoes. I just cannot put my feet into stiletto heels any more. Now it's comfort before beauty (I must be getting old).

ghdhairs said...

it looks beautiful
i will buy a ghdhairs for my gift

esme and the laneway said...

hehe excellent, thanks for the info! I think I might get the white or mint green sky highs; I have new pale pink summer shoes (hurray!) from elsewhere, which is good as I don't want to be copying ALL of your shoes :D (well, I do, they're all awesome, but such is life) :)

Unknown said...

Oh I love the clogs! B-E-A-utiful on you;)

Unknown said...

I am always looking for fashionable yet retro comfy shoes, and these would be just the ones! I really like them both, but the black would be the most practical for me.

Anonymous said...

You are tempting me.. but they're not cheap (even on sale) and it's the end of the summer (and I bought too many shoes this season !)

Miss Sunalee said...

Sorry, I didn't want to be anonymous...

moda said...

For me black pls..

Arianne said...

I've been looking for clogs for months to no avail. Even more unfortunately, I can't afford Hasbeens! But it is still great to see you in them. :)

A from A + B in the Sea

Nic said...

I wore my super high peep toe Hasbeens for the first time today and am in LOVE!! Most comfortable shoes EVER.

Your Moheda's are GORGEOUS! I need to find a site that ships them to Australia, as I think I need those ones too!!