Friday 15 July 2011

AUSTIN WAS GREAT

After Las Vegas we flew to Austin. In Texas, you know. The difference was enormous and right then, tired as we were, for the better - after the 24 hour bling bling and slot machine ringing of Vegas Austin was easy going with bird song, organic food and guys playing guitars in the corners of the streets. I didn't even feel like wearing lipstick. We stayed at the Hotel San Jose which with it's Eames chairs, rain water bottles, vintage carpets and signed rock n'roll posters on the walls was designed to the max, although still surprisingly laid back. I suppose at another place it would have been all too much hipster for me but right then right there it was just perfect. It was terribly hot and we took it easy by the pool, browsed vintage stores and had hoummus sandwiches, mexican food some beers at night, mostly around South Congress.

Then we rented a car and drove 3300 kilometers, but I'll get back to the rest later.

12 comments:

TheBlackPinafore said...

I just visited the site of the hotel, all rooms are beautiful, even the background music is relaxing...
Debora

Cheddah said...

I used to live about an hour outside of Austin. I miss that town! And Uncommon Objects is awesome!!!

pretty odd wonders. said...

ooooh love these pictures! i've been wanting to go to austin for suc a long time now and this makes me want to go even more!

Kat said...

I love your vacation photos, they're so beautiful.

Also, which shoes are you wearing in the last photograph. I've been looking for a pair like them for a while and I've had no luck whatsoever.

TheTintti said...

Thanks for sharing.

milingmai said...

was the uncommon objects store as grand as it looks from the outside? (please say yes and leave me with tim-burton-style-daydreams)

amelie

Emma Litton said...

I just discovered your blog, and I adore it! You're so very lovely.

xo,
Em

Gina Americana said...

Austin IS Great! It's authentic & always always always real...just like that.

Lauren Collinsworth said...

Beautiful Pictures! :) I've always wanted to go to Texas!
Xo, Lauren

cocktail dresses said...

nice photo collection..
which is that flower in glass..how many days it will remain fresh..

DanaDoesDesign said...

It's so fun to see you go places I have been! My sister got her masters degree at the university there, and my husband and i went to visit 2 years ago this month.

We didn't stay at San Jose, but we did drink and eat at the bar one night, and our friend's dog made his way around to everyone there on the patio.

I thought Austin was very hot, but very fun. South Congress was my favorite area, definitely.

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Austin is like a second home to me. Your photos really captured the feel of the city. Wonderful!

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife